Keeping a home garage neat and tidy can be a challenge, especially if you have accumulated many unnecessary items over the years. It can be a daunting and even discouraging exercise.
Here are some suggested steps to help you sort through and get rid of the unwanted items in your garage:
- Schedule a full day to clean out your garage | Mark a date on your calendar and make sure you have enough time to do it. Ask family members, or friends, to help if needed.
- Empty your garage | Take all the items out of your garage and put them in a clear area, such as your driveway. This will allow you to see what you really own and help you decide what to keep or get rid of.
- Do a complete assessment of the contents of your garage | Look at all the items your garage contains. Ask yourself questions about each item. Do you use it regularly? Do you really need it? Is it still in good condition? If you answer no to any of these questions, you should probably get rid of it.
- Sort all items by category | For example, group all gardening items together, all sports equipment, and so on.
- Use the 3-pile technique | Create a pile for items you want to sell or donate, a pile for items you want to throw away, and finally a pile for items you want to keep. Be honest with yourself when creating these piles and remember that the more unnecessary items you get rid of, the easier your garage will be to organize.
- Dispose of items | Once you’ve created your piles, get organized to get rid of them. Donate items that can still be used to local charities, sell items that still have value on online sales sites or at a garage sale, and recycle items that are in poor condition at a local recycling center.
- Reorganize your garage | Now that you’ve cleaned up, divide up your remaining items using shelves, cabinets, overhead storage racks and wall hanging panels with hooks, racks, baskets, and shelves. Arranged this way, your items will maximize the space available in your garage.
By following these easy steps, you’ll be able to sort through and get rid of unnecessary items in your garage, and thus creating a functional and organized storage space.