The following are excerpts from a post by Shane Inman of the Inman Company, a contributor author for Houzz on houzz.com
Our garages play a very important role in our everyday living. Of course, they protect our vehicles from the elements. But more often than not, they also become dumping grounds for tools, cleaning products and seasonal gear. These tips from Espace Garage Plus can help you make the most out of this often overcrowded and underused space. Built-ins, slatwalls and other smart storage solutions can help you eliminate clutter and keep your garage tidy.
- Shoe storage. The garage door is the main entrance in many homes. If shoes aren’t allowed in your house, this is a great way to stop the pileup of shoes outside your main door. A shoe organizer can instantly clear the floor.
- Mud Bench. An extra-long bench next to a garage door keeps outdoor gear tidy. Hooks, cubbies and a cozy seat make it easy for kids to remember to take off their coats, caps and gloves before coming inside the house.
- Loft. High ceilings can make up for limited floor space in smaller garages. Consider a loft for storage, as in this garage (see photo). This loft almost acts like an attic, with a low-clearance ceiling height and retractable ladder. The railing ventilates the space and cut down on building costs.
- Overhead storage. Suspended shelving just above the garage doors provides out-of-the-way storage space without the messy remodel. Use these shelves to store items you rarely need to access — like holiday decorations.
- Slatwall. Different hooks and shelves fit into the horizontal slats, making for a customized storage center with minimal effort. The right hook can hold anything from skis to toys to lawn chairs.
- Cabinetry. You don’t need to build in storage to stay organized. Available cabinets, drawers and shelves can help you clear clutter easily.
- Custom Cabinetry. The wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling cabinetry makes it easier to keep everything tidy. It’s the most beautiful way to keep a garage organized.
The Espace Garage Plus Team